My Top Books for 2011

Don't get too excited, this is most definitely not a list of the best works published this year. In fact, I don't think I've read a brand new book in years. No, this is a list of my top favorite books that I read this year.

10. Little Dorrit

I really enjoyed this book, partly because it was one of the best classics that I read all year. It may also have to do with the fact that I am doing it as part of a British Literature class.

9. The Dark Foundations


The second book in a Christian Sci-Fi series/trilogy, it appealed to that sci-fi loving side of me, but was good and clean. Still not 100% on any of the theology that's shown in the book, but as far as a story goes, it's great.

8. Mother


A title so little revered nowadays, this story shows the value and honorable calling of a woman staying home to care for her children.

7. That Printer of Udell's

Love shown in actions is a strong theme throughout this book, and something that I've been running across quite a bit this year. The way you live your life is very important. Every action is seen by others who could be making decisions on faith based one what they see lived out in your life. Make it count.

6. Mara, Daughter of the Nile

Reverting back to fiction, we have a great adventure set in ancient Egypt. Full of intrigue and conspiracy among the lotus plants of the Nile River make it an enchanting place to spend a few evenings.

5. Do Hard Things


As with several others on this list, Do Hard Things is a reread, but one that is well worth it. The books that impact me the most are the ones that inspire me to do better in my life and Christian walk, and this book certainly does. Low expectations are the bane of the modern world, and this book shows how young people can stand up, grow up, and take on the responsibilities that they are fully capable of.

4. His Chosen Bride

This book takes single young women through Proverbs 31 and how it applies to them right now in their lives. It covers all sorts of topics from contentment, to service, to trusting God with your future.

3. The Greatest Thing in the World

All about love, this very small book discusses the nine components of love: patience, kindness, humility, generosity, courtesy, unselfishness, good-temper, guilelessness, and sincerity. We're not talking about mushy-gushy feelings of romance here, but true love and how it can and should affect every aspect of our lives and the lives of those around us.

2. Revolution in World Missions

Mainly telling the story of a man's road to becoming the founder of Gospel for Asia, where people can help reach the poor and lost of Asia by sponsoring national missionaries as well as children. It often reads like an autobiography, yet it also proposes many great thoughts and ideas for changing the way we think about world missions and our role in them.

1. Evidence Not Seen

This is another autobiography. Reading the story of Darlene Deibler Rose was an incredible journey that portrayed faith, obedience, and love in amazing ways. Certainly ways that you would never expect for a prisoner of war for four years in New Guinea.

~

Any of these books would be ones that I would recommend with little or no disclaimers. I was about to add "especially the last two", but then I wanted to add the third one, and then the fourth one and so on. Truly, this was a great selection of books to read this year. Please, find one and read it! If you do, let me know what you thought of it.

Also, if you would like to see the other books that I have read this year, check out my Goodreads page.

1 comment:

  1. What delightful books that you have read this past year! They make a good list---or rather, I wouldn't know too well how good of a list it is because I've only read one---and that is "Do Hard Things" (which also made it onto my own top favorites from 2011). I wish I could read basically all of the books you wrote about here. They sound so good!!!

    ReplyDelete

Did you know that by leaving a comment you will totally make my day? Please make sure that you are not nasty in any way, shape, or form, otherwise I will have to delete what you had to say.