Book Review - Christy

Christy Christy by Catherine Marshall

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


When I picked up this book again, after having not read it for quite some time, it was like wrapping myself in a favorite, but little used, blanket.  As I read through the prologue, where Christy revisits the small community that affected her life so much, I almost began to cry.  It was so comforting to be reading this lovely story once again.


Christy Huddleston, a young and impressionable nineteen-year-old, makes the decision to become a teacher in a rural mountain area.  Little does she know that trials, triumphs, sorrows and joys await her.  She comes feeling like she has so much she can do for these people, who still live in squalid cabins with no plumbing; illiterate families, ancient feuds and are held in the bondage of superstition.  Yet through the events that take place, Christy realizes how much it is that she needs to learn.


Christy is full of laughter, funny children, appreciation for beauty and good things, the desire to better the world, and learning in unexpected ways.  There is even a lovely surprise at the end.  I highly recommend this book.  


View all my reviews >>

© 2009 Defective Compositions

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you know that by leaving a comment you will totally make my day? Please make sure that you are not nasty in any way, shape, or form, otherwise I will have to delete what you had to say.